Extra ricotta filling from this easy recipe makes a great sandwich spread and pasta sauce.
- 1 1/2 cups part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1 cup loosely packed fresh basil leaves
- 1 cup loosely packed fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup loosely packed fresh spinach leaves
- 1 Tbs. toasted pine nuts
- 1 Tbs. grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 cloves garlic. minced
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 eggplant, cut lengthwise into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 2 cups marinara or tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup shredded low-fat mozzarella
- Filling: In food processor, purée all filling ingredients. Transfer to bowl and refrigerate until ready to use.
- If desired, salt eggplant slices and let sit 30 minutes. Rinse, drain and blot dry.
- Lightly spray nonstick baking sheet with cooking spray; arrange eggplant slices in a single layer on sheet. Broil eggplant 2 to 3 inches from heat until softened, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Spread about 1/2 cup marinara sauce on 9 x- 12-inch baking dish. Place 1 to 2 tablespoons ricotta filling in center of each eggplant slice; roll. Arrange rolls in baking dish, seam-side down. Top rolls with remaining sauce; sprinkle with mozzarella. Bake until eggplant is tender and heated through, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Serving Size: 4 Servings
- Calories: 308
- Carbohydrate Content: 27 g
- Cholesterol Content: 37 mg
- Fat Content: 16 g
- Fiber Content: 4 g
- Protein Content: 19 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 7 g
- Sodium Content: 24 mg