This breakfast treat is one of those can’t-miss gifts your recipients will treasure. Unlike so many versions, the flavor of the fruit isn’t overwhelmed by too many spices—there’s just enough candied ginger to give it a spicy lift. An added plus: It’s as simple as can be!
Presentation Idea: A jar of this and a plate of the Cranberry Cream Scones make a great combination gift.
- 5 large apples, peeled, cored and cut into large chunks
- 2 ripe pears, peeled, cored and cut into large chunks
- 1 1/2 cups apple cider
- 2 Tbs. finely chopped candied ginger
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 375°F. In large, nonreactive pot, combine apples, pears, cider and ginger. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cover, reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until fruit becomes mushy, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Remove from heat, and stir in sugar and lemon juice. Transfer about half the contents to a food processor, and process until smooth. Pour into large, shallow baking dish. Repeat with remaining fruit mixture.
- Bake 30 minutes, stirring once or twice. Reduce heat to 350°F. Continue baking, stirring occasionally, until fruit butter has darkened, thickened and reduced by about half, 40 to 60 minutes. Remove from oven, and let cool completely.
- Spoon mixture into clean jars, and cover tightly. Butter will keep in refrigerator up to 2 weeks.
- Serving Size: Makes 4 half-pint jars
- Calories: 15
- Carbohydrate Content: 4 g