This sensational vegetable dish showcases plump, seasonal California asparagus.
- 8 oz. day-old baguette or loaf sourdough bread
- 2 Tbs. clarified butter, melted
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 Tbs. salt for water
- 2 lb. jumbo California asparagus, trimmed
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- Preheat oven to 200F. Light charcoal fire, if using.
- Tear bread into chunks, and dry in oven for 1 hour. Increase oven temperature to 350F. Place bread in food processor or blender, and process into coarse crumbs. Toss crumbs with clarified butter. Season with salt and pepper to taste, and place on sheet pan. Bake crumbs until golden brown and crispy.
- Preheat gas grill, if using.
- Fill large pot with water, add salt and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Place asparagus into water, and cook about 5 minutes, or until spears bend without snapping. Drain asparagus, and plunge into ice water. Drain.
- Combine sea salt and pepper to taste with olive oil in flat baking dish. Place asparagus in oil, and roll spears to coat with oil.
- Place spears on grill, and cook, turning often, until brown, about 2 minutes.
- To serve, remove from grill, place on serving platter and garnish with browned bread crumbs.
- Serving Size: Serves 6
- Calories: 170
- Carbohydrate Content: 23 g
- Cholesterol Content: 10 mg
- Fat Content: 7 g
- Fiber Content: 2 g
- Protein Content: 5 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 3 g
- Sodium Content: 430 mg
- Sugar Content: 2 g