You can make this extremely simple recipe indoors under the broiler in chilly weather—or even over hot coals outdoors.
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp. finely minced thyme
- 1 tsp. finely grated lemon zest
- 1 1/2 lb. large portobello mushrooms, stemmed
- 2 large red bell peppers, halved, stemmed and seeded
- 2 large yellow bell peppers, halved, stemmed and seeded
- 2 large red onions, peeled and sliced in thick rounds
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Tender greens such as arugula, peppercress and radish sprouts for garnish
- Combine oil, balsamic vinegar, thyme and zest in bowl and whisk.
- Scrape off black gills under mushroom caps and discard. Wipe caps with damp cloth. Brush mushrooms generously with balsamic mixture and grill quickly over hot coals or under broiler.
- Brush peppers and onions with balsamic mixture and cook until crisp-tender.
- Slice vegetables thickly on diagonal, toss gently and season with salt and pepper. Arrange on plates with greens and sprouts.
Try a rich Cabernet, Merlot or Syrah.
- Serving Size: SERVES 8 AS SIDE DISH
- Calories: 140
- Carbohydrate Content: 14 g
- Fat Content: 7 g
- Fiber Content: 3 g
- Protein Content: 2 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 10 mg