Taking a cue from one of America’s handiest meal stretchers, this vegetarian version makes a comforting dish for family dinners. Serve it with a tossed green salad and toasted French bread.
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 large onion, cubed
- 8 oz. sliced mushrooms
- 12-oz. pkg. ground soy “meat”
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powde
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 1-lb. tube precooked polenta
- Heat olive oil in large skillet over medium heat. Sauté onion 5 to 7 minutes, or until golden. Add mushrooms and “meat,” and sauté 5 minutes more, or until “meat” browns slightly and mushrooms soften. Add tomato sauce, oregano, garlic powder, salt and pepper, reduce heat to low and continue cooking until heated through.
- Meanwhile, slice polenta into 12 equal pieces. Spray second nonstick skillet with cooking spray, and cook slices over medium heat 3 to 4 minutes, or until golden. Turn, and cook other side.
- Remove polenta from skillet, and place 2 slices each on individual plates. Top with “meat” mixture, and serve.
- Serving Size: Serves 6
- Calories: 190
- Carbohydrate Content: 23 g
- Fat Content: 5 g
- Fiber Content: 4 g
- Protein Content: 14 g
- Sodium Content: 450 mg
- Sugar Content: 3 g