Nut oil is used two ways here—to crisp croutons and season a vinaigrette.
- 6 slices sourdough bread, cubed
- 1/4 cup hazelnut oil or other nut oil
- 1 Tbs. white wine vinegar
- 2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 3 Tbs. hazelnut oil or other nut oil
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 8 oz. baby arugula
- 1 apple, cored and sliced
- 1/2 cup crushed blanched hazelnuts
- 1/2 cup dried figs, quartered
- 1 oz. shaved Gruyère cheese
1. To make Croutons: Preheat oven to 350°F. Toss bread cubes with oil in shallow baking pan. Bake 15 minutes, or until crisp.
2. To make Vinaigrette: Combine vinegar and mustard in bowl. Whisk in oil and 1 Tbs. water. Stir in chopped shallot.
3. To assemble Salad: Toss all ingredients with Vinaigrette. Top with croutons.
- Serving Size: Serves 8
- Calories: 228
- Carbohydrate Content: 23 g
- Cholesterol Content: 4 mg
- Fat Content: 14 g
- Fiber Content: 3 g
- Protein Content: 5 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 139 mg
- Sugar Content: 10 g