The jerk seasoning used to flavor the filling of this main dish can be found in the spice section of most supermarkets or ordered online. Feel free to add more jerk seasoning to the black beans if you prefer your dishes spicier, or try the recipe with 1 Tbs. chili powder instead. For rich, smoky flavor, choose fire-roasted diced tomatoes with green chiles.
- 2 Tbs. olive oil, plus more for greasing pan
- 2 15-oz. cans black beans,rinsed and drained
- 1 14.5-oz. can diced tomatoes with mild green chiles, juices included
- 1 1/2 cups frozen yellow corn, thawed
- 1/2 tsp. jerk seasoning, or more to taste
- 1/2 tsp. salt, divided
- 1/8 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 Tbs. sugar
- 1 1/4 tsp. baking powder
- 2/3 cup light coconut milk
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly oil 8-inch-square baking dish with olive oil.
2. Stir together beans, tomatoes and juices, corn, jerk seasoning, 1/4 tsp. salt, and pepper in medium bowl. Adjust seasonings with more jerk seasoning, if desired. Spread in prepared baking dish.
3. Whisk together flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and remaining 1/4 tsp. salt in separate bowl. Add coconut milk and 2 Tbs. oil, and stir until just combined—do not overmix. Spread batter over bean mixture with spatula. Bake, uncovered, 30 minutes, or until topping is lightly browned and toothpick inserted in center of topping comes out clean. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
- Serving Size: Serves 6
- Calories: 346
- Carbohydrate Content: 57 g
- Fat Content: 9 g
- Fiber Content: 13 g
- Protein Content: 13 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 914 mg
- Sugar Content: 4 g