This filling gluten-free pie is similar to pumpkin pie and tastes just as good—if not better, knowing that it’s healthy for you.
- 1 3–4 lb kabocha squash, skin on, seeded and cut into 1-inch cubes (about 4 cups cubed squash)
- 1/2 cup canned light coconut milk
- 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 2 tsp organic vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- Premade, frozen 8-inch gluten-free pie crust
Heat oven to 350°. In a large stockpot, steam squash cubes in steamer basket until soft, 25–45 minutes. Turn off heat; let cool slightly. In a food processor, blend squash and coconut milk until smooth, 2 minutes. Add xanthan gum and eggs and process until well combined, 1 minute.
In a bowl, combine coconut sugar, vanilla extract, sea salt, and spices. Add squash purée to the sugar mixture and stir until well combined.
Pour pie mix into crust. Bake on the oven’s middle rack for 40 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool completely before serving. Store in the refrigerator.
See alsoHazelnut-Crusted Berry Pie
- Serving Size: 24
- Calories: 119
- Fat Content: 4 g
- Fiber Content: 1 g
- Protein Content: 2 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g