Serve this simple sauté warm, or let it cool and take it along on a picnic for an elegant entrée. In seasons when asparagus isn’t abundant, substitute broccoli florets or broccoli rabe. Try a grating of regular or soy Parmesan cheese to enhance flavors.
- 1 8-oz. pkg. Italian-style baked tofu, cubed
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 4-oz. jar pimientos
- 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper
- 2 lb. asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tbs. lemon zest
- 2 Tbs. capers, optional
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Spray large nonstick skillet with cooking spray. Cook tofu cubes over medium heat 5 to 7 minutes, or until brown and crispy. Remove from pan, and set aside.
- Heat 1 Tbs. olive oil in skillet over medium heat. Sauté onion 3 to 4 minutes, or until soft. Add garlic, pimientos and crushed red pepper, and cook 30 seconds more, or until fragrant.
- Increase heat to medium-high. Add asparagus, and cook 3 to 4 minutes, stirring constantly, or until asparagus is bright green and crisp-tender. Add lemon juice, lemon zest, capers, if using, salt and pepper. Drizzle with remaining 1 Tbs. olive oil, and top with tofu cubes. Serve immediately.
- Serving Size: SERVES 6
- Calories: 130
- Carbohydrate Content: 8 g
- Fat Content: 8 g
- Fiber Content: 3 g
- Protein Content: 9 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 115 mg
- Sugar Content: 3 g