This recipe includes all of the ingredients contained in a great tabouli: bulgur wheat, tomatoes, lemon juice, and lots of parsley. (You’ll need two good-sized bunches; opt for the flat-leaf variety if it’s available.) I’ve put a new slant on the dish by combining all of the ingredients in a lentil soup. Since the acid in the lemon juice quickly dulls parsley’s bright color, you might like to add lemon juice only to the portion you are planning to serve. Leftovers are likely to need some extra lemon juice anyway. Coarse bulgur is available in most natural food stores.
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 2 cups coarsely chopped onions
- 6 cups vegetable broth or water
- 1 1/2 cups brown lentils
- 1/3 cup coarse bulgur
- 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 to 2 cloves garlic, pushed through a press
- 3 cups seeded, finely diced plum tomatoes (fresh or canned, drained)
- 1 1/2 Tbs. finely chopped fresh mint or 1 1/2 tsp. dried mint, plus more to taste
- 1 1/4 tsp. salt or to taste
- 1 cup loosely packed minced fresh parsley, plus more to taste
- 1 to 3 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
- Over medium-high heat, heat 1 tablespoon of oil in cooker. Cook onions, stirring frequently, for 2 minutes. Add broth and stir well to scrape up any browned bits sticking to the bottom of cooker. Add lentils, bulgur, and red pepper flakes (if using).
- Lock lid in place. Over high heat, bring to high pressure. Lower heat just enough to maintain high pressure and cook for 10 minutes. Quick-release pressure. Remove lid, tilting it away from you to allow any excess steam to escape.
- Stir in garlic, tomatoes, additional tablespoon of olive oil, mint, and salt. Simmer until garlic looses its raw taste, about 2 minutes. At this point, add a bit more mint if you feel it’s needed. Blend in parsley and lemon juice. Taste and add more parsley and lemon juice if desired. Serve in large soup bowls.
- Serving Size: 6 Servings
- Calories: 372
- Carbohydrate Content: 59 g
- Cholesterol Content: 2 mg
- Fat Content: 8 g
- Fiber Content: 12 g
- Protein Content: 20 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 465 mg