Recipe by Natural Gourmet Institute
- 1 loaf (approximately 3 ½ x 9 ½ x 3 inch); Approximately 9 slicesServings
- 2 cups green lentils
- 1 quart water
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 medium onions, minced
- 1 1/8 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1-1 1/2 cups soft fresh bread crumbs
- 1/2 bunch parsley, minced
- 2 tablespoons white miso
- 2 tablespoons tahini
1. Preheat oven to 350° F.
2. In medium pot, combine lentils, water and bay leaves. Bring to boil, lower heat, and simmer, covered, for 1 hour. Drain in colander.
3. In medium skillet, heat oil; sauté onions with pinch of salt until soft. Add herbs and spices and sauté 2 minutes more.
4. Puree cooked, drained lentils in food processor. Place in bowl.
5. Combine lentils, onions, 1 cup bread crumbs, parsley and 1 teaspoon salt. In small bowl, mix miso and tahini; add to lentils. Mixture should be thick and moist. If necessary, add more bread crumbs.
6. Pour mixture into greased loaf pan and bake until firm, about 20 to 25 minutes.
7. Chill to room temperature before removing from pan and slicing.
See Also: Chinese Style Fried Rice