This dish of spinach and rice topped with feta cheese and black olives is extremely simple to make, and therein lies its elegance. It’s delicious served at room temperature, which means you can prepare it earlier in the day.
- 3 Tbs. extra virgin olive oil
- 4 scallions (white and light green parts), thinly sliced (1/2 cup)
- 1 medium onion or leek (white part only), finely chopped (3/4 cup)
- 3 Tbs. tomato paste
- 1/2 cup uncooked long-grain white rice
- 10-oz. pkg. spinach, stemmed, rinsed well and cut into thin strips
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh dill
- Kalamata olives and feta cheese and/or thick yogurt for serving
- In large skillet, heat 2 Tbs. oil over medium-high heat. Stir in scallions, onion, pinch of salt and 1/4 cup water. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and cook 10 minutes.
- Uncover and cook until water evaporates. Continue cooking until onion is golden, about 5 minutes. Stir in tomato paste, 1 1/4 cups water and rice. Stir well, increase heat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover again and simmer 10 minutes.
- Spread spinach and dill over rice, cover again and cook until rice is tender, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat, mix well, then place double thickness of paper towels over spinach-rice mixture. Cover again and let stand until cool. Season with salt and pepper to taste, then drizzle with remaining oil. Serve with olives and feta cheese.
- Serving Size: Serves 4
- Calories: 218
- Carbohydrate Content: 27 g
- Fat Content: 4 g
- Fiber Content: 4 g
- Protein Content: 5 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 67 mg