Avocado adds wonderful substance to this refreshing Mexican-Style Summer Salad flavored with lime and a hint of cumin. If desired, substitute jicama, peeled and cut into sticks, for the cucumber slices.
- 3 Tbs. fresh lime juice (1 large lime)
- 1/2 tsp. plus 1/8 tsp. salt
- 4 small tomatoes, cut into 3/4-inch dice (2 1/2 cups)
- 3 medium Haas avocados, cut into 3/4-inch dice (2 cups)
- 3 scallions (white and light green parts), thinly sliced
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1 Tbs. mild olive oil or vegetable oil
- 1/4 tsp. ground cumin
- 2 medium heads Boston lettuce, torn into large pieces (8 cups)
- 1 small cucumber, peeled, quartered lengthwise, seeded and thinly sliced diagonally (1 cup)
- 2 Tbs. coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
- In medium non-metallic bowl, whisk together 2 tablespoons of lime juice and 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Add tomatoes, avocados, scallions and garlic. Using rubber spatula, gently fold to combine. Season to taste with pepper and set aside.
- In large bowl, whisk together oil, cumin, remaining 1 tablespoon lime juice and 1/8 teaspoon salt. Add lettuce and toss. Season with pepper. Divide lettuce among plates. Top each with mound of avocado mixture. Sprinkle with cucumber and cilantro and serve.
- Serving Size: 6 servings
- Calories: 155
- Carbohydrate Content: 11 g
- Fat Content: 12 g
- Fiber Content: 5 g
- Protein Content: 3 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 196 mg