30 MINUTES OR LESS
To keep this meal simple, begin with a delicate lemon-accented soup, offer toasted focaccia with the fritters, and end with cut-up fresh fruit splashed with rose or
- 1 bunch fresh spinach, well-rinsed
- 1 cup diced mushrooms
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1/4 cup minced Italian parsley
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs, preferably Italian seasoned
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup shredded low-fat mozzarella
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 3 Tbs. vegetable oil, or more as needed for frying
- Steam spinach until wilted, for about 2 minutes. Remove from heat, and set aside to cool.
- Combine mushrooms, scallions, onion powder, parsley and breadcrumbs in a mixing bowl. Stir in eggs and mozzarella.
- Squeeze excess water from spinach, and chop finely. Stir into mushroom mixture, and season with salt and pepper.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Using a 1/4-cup measure, scoop up mushroom mixture, and put into skillet, flattening slightly to form a patty. Repeat until skillet is full, but do not overcrowd. Pan-fry patties on first side until golden, for about 5 minutes, and turn over. Add remaining oil, and pan-fry second side until golden. Remove from skillet, and drain on paper towels. Repeat until mushroom mixture is used up, adding more oil if needed. Serve patties hot or at room temperature.
- Serving Size: SERVES 3 TO 4
- Calories: 250
- Carbohydrate Content: 22 g
- Cholesterol Content: 150 mg
- Fat Content: 12 g
- Fiber Content: 5 g
- Protein Content: 16 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 3 g
- Sodium Content: 750 mg
- Sugar Content: 3 g