Here’s an extraordinarily versatile gift. You can always find new uses for this relish: toss it with hot pasta; use it on top of Greek-style pizzas; or add it to omelet fillings and deviled eggs. And it couldn’t be simpler to make—just whirl a few ingredients in the food processor, and you’re all set.
Presentation Idea: This is attractive in almost any sort of jar. Tell your recipients to keep this refrigerated, but make sure it’s at room temperature when you present it—the relish turns cloudy when cold.
- 8-oz. jar oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes
- 8 oz. good-quality green olives, pitted and drained
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1 Tbs. lemon juice
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup olive oil, plus extra for filling jars
- Pour tomatoes and their packing oil in food procesor. Add olives and garlic, and pulse on/off until mixture is consistency of relish, with olives and tomatoes in uniform small bits. (Don’t overprocess, or it will turn muddy.) Transfer relish to bowl, and stir in lemon juice and 1/2 cup oil.
- Loosely spoon mixture into 3 half-pint jars. When almost full, slowly pour in enough additional oil to cover relish. Add any remaining relish, tamping the mixture down with fork. Add enough additional oil to cover relish slightly. Cover, and store in a cool spot until you’re ready to give your gift. This will keep at least 3 weeks in the refrigerator.
- Serving Size: Makes 3 half-pint jars
- Calories: 36
- Carbohydrate Content: 1 g
- Fat Content: 4 g
- Fiber Content: 4 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 126 mg