Toasting the whole wheat flour adds a rich, nutty flavor to these irresistible appetizers. Make a batch or two at the beginning of the holidays, store or freeze in an airtight container, and you’ll be ready for friends who drop in unexpectedly. Just warm the cookies for a few minutes while you pour drinks.
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- pecans for decoration
- paprika for dusting
- Place whole wheat flour in large nonstick skillet. Cook 5 to 7 minutes over medium heat, or until lightly browned, stirring constantly. Remove from heat, and cool.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Coat 2 baking sheets with cooking spray.
- Blend whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour, Parmesan cheese, butter and cayenne pepper with electric mixer or in food processor. Add 1/3 cup water, and beat with mixer or pulse in processor until dough begins to come together.
- Pinch off small piece of dough, and roll into 1-inch ball. Flatten into disk between your hands, and set on prepared baking sheet. Press 1 pecan on top. Repeat with remaining dough and pecans. Sprinkle with paprika.
- Bake 15 minutes, or until disks begin to brown. Transfer to wire rack to cool. Store in airtight container.
- Serving Size: Makes 48 cookies
- Calories: 63
- Carbohydrate Content: 4 g
- Cholesterol Content: 8 mg
- Fat Content: 4 g
- Protein Content: 2 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 66 mg