You can whip up this satisfying homemade alternative to take-out pizza with just a few staple ingredients. Smoked mozzarella is a delicious complement to the broccoli and pasta, but you can use regular mozzarella, Monterey Jack or cheddar—whatever you have on hand.
- 5 Tbs. Italian-style dry bread crumbs
- 3 tsp. olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 10-oz. pkg. frozen chopped broccoli (3 cups)
- 6 oz. dry penne pasta (1 ½ cups)
- 4 large eggs
- ¾ cup 1% milk
- ½ to 1 tsp. hot pepper sauce
- 1 ½ cups shredded smoked mozzarella cheese (5 oz.)
- Bring large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat 9-inch (1 ½-quart) deep-dish pie pan with cooking spray. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons bread crumbs, tilting to coat evenly.
- In small bowl, mix together remaining 3 tablespoons bread crumbs and 1 teaspoon oil. Set aside.
- In medium nonstick skillet, heat remaining 2 teaspoons oil over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often, until tender and light golden, 4 to 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Place broccoli in strainer and rinse under cold running water to thaw. Drain well and set aside.
- Add pasta to boiling water; stir to prevent sticking. Cook, stirring often, until barely tender, 5 to 6 minutes. Drain, rinse under cold running water, then drain again. Set aside.
- In large bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, hot sauce, and salt and pepper to taste. Add cheese, reserved onion, broccoli and pasta; mix with rubber spatula. Pour into prepared pan, spreading evenly. Sprinkle evenly with reserved bread crumb mixture. (Pie can be prepared ahead to this point. Cover and refrigerate up to 2 days. Bring to room temperature before baking.)
- Bake pie, uncovered, until top is lightly golden and filling is set, about 45 minutes. (Tip of knife inserted in center should come out clean.) Transfer to wire rack and cool slightly. Cut into wedges and serve hot.
- Serving Size: 6 Servings
- Calories: 384
- Carbohydrate Content: 28 g
- Cholesterol Content: 242 mg
- Fat Content: 18 g
- Fiber Content: 4 g
- Protein Content: 27 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 8 g
- Sodium Content: 435 mg