This pie brings together the robust and sunny flavors of the south of France. For an injection of gusto, add garlic to taste.
- 1 12- to 14-inch pizza crust
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 small Italian eggplant, skin removed and sliced into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 2 tomatoes, cored and chopped
- 1/2 cup green beans, cut into 1- to 2-inch-long pieces
- 1 Tbs. balsamic vinegar
- 10 to 15 pitted black olives
- 2 Tbs. capers, drained
- 1 tsp. fresh thyme (or 1/2 tsp. dried)
- 1 Tbs. fresh basil, shredded
- 8 oz. shredded low-fat, regular or soy mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 450F. Prebake fresh pizza crust, if using, for 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from oven, and set aside to cool slightly.
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat, and saut8E onions for 3 to 4 minutes. Add eggplant, cover and cook for 3 to 4 minutes, turning occasionally. Add tomatoes and green beans, cover and stir occasionally for another 3 to 4 minutes. Add balsamic vinegar, olives, capers and herbs. Stir, and remove from heat.
- Spread vegetable mixture over pizza crust, and top with cheese.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, or until cheese melts thoroughly. Remove from oven, and serve.
Why not enjoy this pizza Provence style with a chilled glass of South of France Ros8E? A Tavel, such as one from Domaines Ott, is a slightly pink ros8E that’s not sweet or fruity—a perfect choice for a summertime pizza.
- Serving Size: Serves 6
- Calories: 340
- Carbohydrate Content: 36 g
- Cholesterol Content: 20 mg
- Fat Content: 15 g
- Fiber Content: 4 g
- Protein Content: 16 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 5 g
- Sodium Content: 620 mg
- Sugar Content: 4 g