A tortilla can also mean omelet or “little cake” in Spanish. Potato tortillas are the most popular and traditional tapas served in Spain.
- 1 lb. asparagus, cut into 3/4-inch lengths (about 3 cups)
- 1 Tbs. plus 4 tsp. olive oil
- 1 lb. Yukon gold potatoes, peeled, quartered, then sliced (about 2 3/4 cups)
- 1 large onion, halved and thinly sliced (about 2 cups)
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 8 large eggs
- 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 cup grated manchego cheese
1. Steam asparagus 3 to 5 minutes, or until tender. Refresh under cold running water and drain.
2. Heat 1 Tbs. oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add potatoes, onion and 1/4 tsp. salt. Cook 3 to 5 minutes, or until potatoes begin to brown, stirring often. Cover, reduce heat to low, and cook 20 minutes, or until tender, stirring occasionally. Remove from skillet.
3. Beat eggs, remaining salt and pepper in bowl. Stir in cheese and asparagus.
4. Add 2 tsp. oil to skillet and increase heat to medium-low. Pour in half of egg mixture. Sprinkle with half of potatoes, and cook 3 to 5 minutes, or until bottom of tortilla is browned. Remove skillet from heat; invert large plate over tortilla. Grip skillet sides and plate with oven mitts, and flip tortilla onto plate. Return tortilla to skillet, browned side up. Cook 1 to 2 minutes more, or until bottom is browned. Slide onto serving platter. Repeat with remaining oil, eggs and potatoes.
5. Slice each tortilla into 12 thin wedges. Serve warm or at room temperature with Romesco Sauce.
- Serving Size: Makes 12 servings
- Calories: 163
- Carbohydrate Content: 13 g
- Cholesterol Content: 149 mg
- Fat Content: 9 g
- Fiber Content: 2 g
- Protein Content: 9 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 3 g
- Sodium Content: 306 mg
- Sugar Content: 3 g