This layered casserole is terrific for lunch or dinner served with a fresh spinach salad.
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1 1/2 cups nonfat milk
- 1 Tbs. canola oil
- 2 lbs. potatoes
- 6 to 8 cups shredded cabbage
- 3 medium leeks (white and light green parts), thinly sliced
- 3 cups cauliflower florets
- 1 Tbs. whole wheat flour
- 6 slices fat-free sharp Cheddar singles
- 4 green onions (white and light green parts), thinly sliced
- 1/4 tsp. paprika
- In small saucepan, combine garlic, 1/2 cup milk and oil. Cover, and simmer over medium-low heat until garlic is tender, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Meanwhile, put potatoes into large saucepan, and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes. Drain, and set aside.
- Lightly coat ovenproof casserole with cooking spray. In large saucepan, combine 1/2 cup water with cabbage, leeks and cauliflower. Cook over medium heat until water evaporates and vegetables are crisp-tender, about 15 minutes. Sprinkle vegetables with flour and stir over low heat, 2 minutes. Remove pan from heat. Gradually add remaining 1 cup milk, stirring until well blended. Return pan to heat, and stir until sauce thickens. Add cheese slices, and stir until cheese is melted, and sauce is smooth. Spoon cabbage-leek mixture into prepared casserole dish.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. When garlic is tender, squeeze cloves from their skins into milk-oil cooking liquid. Pour liquid into potatoes; mash with fork, leaving skins and some lumps. Mash in green onion slices, and black pepper to taste. Top cabbage-leek mixture with garlic mashed potatoes. Sprinkle potatoes with paprika. Bake until potatoes brown and filling is hot, about 25 minutes.
- Serving Size: 6 Servings
- Calories: 323
- Carbohydrate Content: 61 g
- Cholesterol Content: 1 mg
- Fat Content: 3 g
- Fiber Content: 8 g
- Protein Content: 16 g
- Sodium Content: 194 mg