The nice thing about using quinoa, a whole grain found in most natural grocery stores, in this tabbouleh-style salad is that it doesn’t soak up all the dressing and dry out over time.
- Quinoa Medley
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 1 medium zucchini, diced (about 1 cup)
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced (about 1/4 cup)
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 Tbs. chopped fresh mint, plus sprigs for garnish
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 3 Tbs. olive oil
- 2 Tbs. orange juice
- 1 Tbs. lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp. grated orange zest
- To make Quinoa Medley: Bring 2 cups water to a boil in medium saucepan. Stir in quinoa, cover, and reduce heat to medium low. Simmer 15 minutes, or until quinoa is tender and opaque and liquid is absorbed. Let stand 5 minutes, then transfer to large bowl. Fluff with a fork, and cool.
- Fold corn, zucchini, green onions, cilantro and mint into quinoa.
- To make Dressing: Whisk together oil, orange juice, lemon juice and orange zest in small bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
- Drizzle dressing over quinoa mixture, and toss well. Sprinkle with pine nuts, garnish with mint sprigs, if desired, and serve at room temperature.
- Serving Size: Serves 6
- Calories: 236
- Carbohydrate Content: 27 g
- Fat Content: 12 g
- Fiber Content: 3 g
- Protein Content: 6 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 110 mg
- Sugar Content: 2 g