Here’s an icy treat that’s packed with flavor and low in fat. To get the right texture, scrape the mixture every 20 minutes. Makes 4 3/4 cups.
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- Peel of 2 lemons, removed with vegetable peeler
- 3 Tbs. red-raspberry preserves
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 pint fresh raspberries, rinsed
- Fresh raspberries for garnish
- In medium saucepan, bring 3 cups water, sugar, lemon peel and preserves to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes. Refrigerate until cool, about 30 minutes. Stir in lemon juice. Pour through strainer into 8- or 9-inch square metal pan. Discard peel.
- Press raspberries through strainer with back of spoon to obtain a seedless purée. Scrape purée from outside of strainer into pan. Stir purée into lemon-raspberry preserve mixture until blended.
- Place in freezer. When mixture starts to freeze (about 45 minutes), scrape frozen sides into center of pan with a fork. Repeat every 20 minutes for about 2 hours (don’t worry if you forget to do it once or twice). Then cover pan with foil, and freeze for at least 8 hours, or until firm.
- Place pan in refrigerator about20 minutes before serving to thaw ice slightly. To serve, mound into individual dishes, and garnish with raspberries.
- Serving Size: Serves 6
- Calories: 200
- Carbohydrate Content: 53 g
- Fiber Content: 2 g
- Sugar Content: 49 g