This tart goes together in no time and is delicious both hot and cold, especially served with a wedge of cornbread and a hearty salad of nuts and roasted vegetables. The ricotta really highlights the fresh flavor of the snap peas. If you don’t have shallots on hand, chopped onions or scallions will work.
- 2 cups sugar snap peas, plus extra for garnish, if desired
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 1/4 cups reduced-fat ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 tsp. nutmeg
- 2 large eggs
- 1 prepared 9-inch unbaked pie crust, or 1 recipe tart dough (see below)
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Put snap peas and garlic in food processor or blender, and process until finely chopped. Add ricotta, Parmesan cheese, shallots, salt, pepper and nutmeg, and process until just combined. Add eggs, and process until smooth.
- Pour mixture into crust. Bake 10 minutes; reduce heat to 350F, and bake 25 to 30 minutes more, or until filling has puffed up and set and crust is golden brown. Garnish with steamed sugar snap peas, if desired.
Basic Tart Dough
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp. salt
6 Tbs. unsalted butter, cubed
- Stir flour and salt together in a bowl. Using pastry cutter or your fingertips, rub butter cubes into flour mixture until it resembles coarse meal. Add 1/2 cup cold water, and stir with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula until dough just comes together. Gently knead dough into ball; wrap in plastic wrap, and chill 1 hour or overnight.
- Flour work surface, and roll dough into 14-inch circle. Press dough disk into 9x2-inch pie or tart pan, trim edges, if necessary, and prick bottom all over with a fork. Chill 15 minutes before filling.
- Serving Size: Serves 8
- Calories: 160
- Carbohydrate Content: 12 g
- Cholesterol Content: 65 mg
- Fat Content: 9 g
- Protein Content: 7 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 3 g
- Sodium Content: 340 mg
- Sugar Content: 4 g