30 MINUTES OR LESS
Black rice has a nutty flavor, and its color makes a stunning contrast for the creamy cardoons, but the rice is just as delicious served alone or with other vegetables. Black rice is sold at Asian markets.
- 1 cup raw black rice, well rinsed
- 1 3/4 cups cold water
- Pinch salt
- Combine rice and water in large saucepan. Add salt, and bring to a boil, uncovered, over medium heat.
- Cover pan, reduce heat to low and cook 20 minutes, or until all water is absorbed and rice is tender. Let stand, covered, about 10 minutes, and serve.
- To serve with Gratin of Cardoons, place portion of rice on each serving dish, and top with portion of cardoons.
- Serving Size: SERVES 4
- Calories: 170
- Carbohydrate Content: 38 g
- Fiber Content: 1 g
- Protein Content: 3 g
- Sodium Content: 40 mg