Besides being rich in folate and potassium, beets are loaded with beta-cyanins, which give them their purple hues as well as their anti-inflammatory and anticancer properties. Beet juice can stain your fingers, so you might want to slip on a pair of kitchen gloves before you peel the roasted beets here.
- 8 medium beets, trimmed and scrubbed (1 1/2 lb.)
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic, minced (2 Tbs.)
- 6 cups mesclun greens or other salad mix
- 3 Tbs. prepared balsamic vinaigrette
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Toss together beets, olive oil, and garlic in baking dish. Bake 40 minutes, or until beets are tender. Cool.
- Scrape skin from beets with paring knife. Slice into rounds.
- Toss greens with vinaigrette. Divide among plates, top with beets, and serve.
- Serving Size: Serves 6
- Calories: 104
- Carbohydrate Content: 10 g
- Fat Content: 6 g
- Fiber Content: 2 g
- Protein Content: 2 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 134 mg
- Sugar Content: 6 g