Here’s a delicious way to spark roasted beets with a hit of zingy flavor. Make the glaze when the beets come out of the oven—it takes only about 10 minutes. A high-grade maple syrup (one with very subtle flavor) works best in this dish.
- 3 lb. beets, greens trimmed so 1 inch of stem remains
- 1 cup fresh pink grapefruit juice
- 2 Tbs. plus 2 tsp. maple syrup
- 1 Tbs. unseasoned rice vinegar
- 1 Tbs. cornstarch
- 4 large grapefruit, peels cut off and segments cut out from between membranes
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Divide beets into 2 bundles, and place each on large sheet of foil. Drizzle each bundle with 3 Tbs. water. Place on baking sheet, and roast 1 hour, or until beets are tender enough to be pierced with fork. Cool until easy to handle. Remove stems, rub off skins, and slice thin.
- Whisk together grapefruit juice, maple syrup, and vinegar in medium bowl. Place cornstarch in small saucepan and slowly add grapefruit juice mixture until all cornstarch is dissolved. Bring to a boil over medium heat, whisking frequently. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook 3 to 5 minutes, or until thick and glossy, stirring often.
- Toss beets with grapefruit segments in serving bowl. Drizzle with hot grapefruit glaze.
- Serving Size: Serves 4
- Calories: 273
- Carbohydrate Content: 66 g
- Fat Content: 1 g
- Fiber Content: 10 g
- Protein Content: 6 g
- Sodium Content: 180 mg
- Sugar Content: 47 g