Fontina is a classic Italian cheese with a mild, nutty flavor that’s now made in the United States. If you can’t find fontina, shaved Parmesan works well.
- 4 Tbs. olive oil
- 2 Tbs. red wine vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 6 cups loosely packed arugula, trimmed
- 1 bulb fennel, trimmed, cored and thinly sliced, optional
- 3 red bell peppers, roasted, peeled, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 4 oz. fontina cheese, sliced and cut into strips
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Whisk together oil, vinegar and garlic in large bowl. Add arugula and fennel, if using, and toss to coat. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Divide arugula mixture among 6 salad plates. Divide red pepper and cheese strips into 6 portions, and arrange on top of arugula. Grind black pepper over salads, if desired, and serve.
- Serving Size: Serves 6
- Calories: 191
- Carbohydrate Content: 9 g
- Cholesterol Content: 22 mg
- Fat Content: 15 g
- Fiber Content: 3 g
- Protein Content: 6 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 5 g
- Sodium Content: 176 mg