Split pea soup recipes are often flavored with ham hocks, but this veg version gets its smoky taste from smoked paprika and chipotle chiles. Sweet potatoes and split peas are good sources of potassium, which lowers blood pressure.
- 1-cup servingServings
- 1 cup green split peas
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1 tsp. chopped chipotle chile, canned in adobo sauce
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced (3 cups)
- 2 medium onions, diced (3 cups)
- 3 ribs celery, diced (1 cup)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced (4 tsp.)
- 1 14-oz. can diced tomatoes
1. Soak split peas in large bowl of cold water overnight.
2. Heat oil in 3-qt. saucepan over medium heat. Add paprika and chipotle, and stir. Add sweet potato, onions, and celery, and season with salt and pepper, if desired. Cover, and cook 10 minutes, or until onions are soft and translucent. Add garlic, and sauté 2 minutes.
3. Drain split peas, and add to pot with 6 cups water. Bring soup to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 1 hour. Add tomatoes, and cook 30 minutes more, or until split peas are tender.
- Serving Size: Serves 6
- Calories: 256
- Carbohydrate Content: 45 g
- Fat Content: 5 g
- Fiber Content: 16 g
- Protein Content: 9 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 162 mg
- Sugar Content: 9 g