Don't be intimidated by the long list of ingredients. The broth comes together very quickly and cooks while you finish the rest of the recipe.
- 1 tsp. toasted sesame oil
- 1 tsp. plus 1 Tbs. shoyu or soy sauce
- 1 Tbs. peanut or vegetable oil
- 4 cups thinly sliced napa (Chinese) cabbage
- 1/2 cup peeled, grated daikon for garnish
- 2 nori sheets, cut into slivers for garnish
- 1 Tbs. chopped fresh ginger for garnish
- 1 tsp. wasabi, mixed with 1 tsp. water
- 8-oz. pkg. soba (buckwheat) noodles
- 8 oz. fresh shiitake mushrooms
- 4-inch piece kombu
- 6 dried shiitake mushrooms
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced fresh ginger
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup shoyu or soy sauce
- 1/4 cup sake
- Bring large pot of water to a boil for noodles over high heat. Make broth: Separate stems from fresh shiitakes; set caps aside. Place stems in medium saucepan along with kombu, dried shiitakes, ginger slices, onion, shoyu, sake and 4 cups water. Bring to a boil over high heat. Remove kombu, reduce heat to medium and simmer until liquid is reduced by half, about 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, slice reserved shiitake caps and set aside. Add noodles to boiling water; stir to prevent sticking. Cook until just tender, 6 to 8 minutes. Drain, rinse under cold running water and drain again. Transfer to large bowl; stir in sesame oil and 1 teaspoon shoyu. Set aside.
- Set wok or large skillet over high heat and add peanut oil. Immediately add sliced shiitake caps and stir-fry 1 minute. Add remaining 1 tablespoon shoyu and stir-fry until shiitakes are tender, 1 to 2 minutes. Add cabbage and stir-fry until tender, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat. Season with freshly ground pepper to taste.
- To serve, strain broth, discarding solids. Have garnishes ready. Divide noodles among 4 wide bowls or pasta plates. Add stir-fried vegetables then ladle over some broth. Top with mound of daikon, some nori slivers and chopped ginger. Pass wasabi mixture separately so that each diner can flavor broth to taste. Serve hot.
- Serving Size: 4 servings
- Calories: 137
- Carbohydrate Content: 18 g
- Fat Content: 5 g
- Fiber Content: 3 g
- Protein Content: 7 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 178 mg