Edible containers such as red peppers make elegant individual servings. Here, the Curried Vegetable Sauté recipe gets jazzed up with spices to give it authentic flavor—with no extra work.
- 4 large red bell peppers
- 1 Tbs. garlic oil
- 1 small onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 2 tsp. whole yellow mustard seeds
- 1 tsp. cumin seeds
- 1 tsp. ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 2 cups shredded green cabbage
- 1 small sweet potato, peeled and finely diced (about 8 oz.)
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas
- 3 Tbs. raisins
- 1 Tbs. minced fresh ginger
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (about 1 Tbs.)
- 1/4 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 Tbs. chopped roasted cashews
- 3/4 cup plain soy yogurt
- 2 1/2 Tbs. prepared mango chutney
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Slice tops from peppers. Remove seeds, and set peppers and caps aside.
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté onion, mustard seeds, cumin seeds, coriander, salt and cayenne pepper 6 minutes, or until onion begins to brown. Stir in cabbage, potato, chickpeas, raisins, ginger and garlic, and sauté 2 minutes.
- Stir in broth, and reduce heat to low. Cover, and cook vegetables 10 minutes, or until soft, stirring occasionally. Fold in cilantro and cashews.
- Spoon filling into peppers and place caps on top. Place peppers in 9x7-inch baking dish. Pour 1 inch water into dish. Cover with foil, and bake 50 minutes, or until peppers are tender.
- Place yogurt in small bowl and stir in chutney. Arrange peppers on individual plates, and serve with yogurt sauce.
- Serving Size: Serves 4
- Calories: 297
- Carbohydrate Content: 51 g
- Fat Content: 8 g
- Fiber Content: 10 g
- Protein Content: 9 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 402 mg
- Sugar Content: 22 g