Savor the last of the season's fresh figs with a sweet-and-spicy salad that makes a perfect light meal.
- 1 Tbs. plus 1 tsp. olive oil, divided
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced (1 cup)
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 6.5-oz. jar marinated artichoke hearts, rinsed, drained, and halved lengthwise
- 1 jarred roasted red pepper, drained and thinly sliced
- 1/4 tsp. chili powder
- 10 fresh figs, halved
- 2 bunches watercress, trimmed
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced (1/4 cup)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 Tbs. lime juice
- 2 tsp. red wine vinegar
- 2 tsp. brown rice syrup
1. Heat 1 tsp. oil in skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic, and sauté 2 minutes. Add pinch of salt, and sauté 1 minute more. Stir in artichoke hearts and red pepper, and sauté 2 minutes, or until heated through. Transfer to bowl.
2. Heat remaining 1 Tbs. oil and chili powder in same skillet over medium heat, stirring to combine. Lay figs cut-side down in oil, and cook 2 minutes. Transfer to plate.
3. To make Dressing: Whisk together oil, lime juice, vinegar, and brown rice syrup. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Place watercress on platter. Top with artichoke mixture, and drizzle with 3 Tbs. dressing. Add figs, sprinkle with pecans and green onions, and pass remaining dressing.
- Serving Size: Serves 6
- Calories: 224
- Carbohydrate Content: 24 g
- Fat Content: 14 g
- Fiber Content: 5 g
- Protein Content: 2 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 240 mg
- Sugar Content: 9 g