This soup is easy to make and requires very little cooking, which means the vegetables stay fresh-tasting and flavorful. The first peas of the season would be the best choice, but frozen peas are an excellent alternative. Accompany this soup with whole-grain bread.
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 medium onion, minced (1 cup)
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- 1 large carrot, finely diced ( 3/4 cup)
- 1 cup shelled fresh or frozen peas, thawed
- 6 cups vegetable broth, heated
- 2 cups shredded romaine lettuce
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- Lemon wedges for serving
- In large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion, garlic and carrot and cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is soft and beginning to brown, about 10 minutes.
- Add peas and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Add hot broth and bring to boil. Cook 1 minute. Stir in lettuce, salt and pepper. Serve hot with lemon wedges to squeeze into each portion.
- Serving Size: 4 to 6 servings
- Calories: 115
- Carbohydrate Content: 15 g
- Fat Content: 5 g
- Fiber Content: 3 g
- Protein Content: 6 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 1 mg