Perfect partners, new potatoes and Swiss cheese spiked with a hint of Dijon-style mustard complement the soy “steak” strips for a hearty main course. To start, try a chunky vegetable soup, and pair the entrée with crusty French bread. Sliced apples and pears should be dessert.
- 1 lb. baby potatoes, white, red-skinned or Yukon gold
- 3 Tbs. olive oil
- 2 medium-sized leeks, rinsed and thinly sliced widthwise
- 1 Tbs. minced garlic
- 6 oz. soy “steak” strips
- 8 oz. shredded low-fat Swiss, such as Jarlsberg, or soy cheese
- 1 Tbs. Dijon-style mustard
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley for garnish
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- Rinse potatoes, and place in large saucepan with water to cover. Cover pan, bring to a boil over high heat and cook until tender, for 12 to 15 minutes. Remove from heat, and drain.
- Meanwhile, heat 2 tablespoons oil in large skillet over medium-high heat, and sauté leeks and garlic for 5 to 7 minutes, or until leeks start to brown. Add “steak” strips, and sauté for 5 minutes more.
- Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in skillet over medium heat. Slice potatoes in half, and add to skillet. Sauté for 2 to 3 minutes, or until potatoes start to brown.
- Meanwhile, toss “steak” mixture with shredded cheese and mustard, and season with salt and pepper. Add potatoes, and place mixture into 2-quart baking dish. Sprinkle with more freshly ground pepper, if desired.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until cheese melts. Remove from oven, garnish with parsley and serve.
This entrée needs a big, rich Cabernet or Cabernet-Shiraz as a nice complement for the “steak.” Try one of the Australian blend Cabernet-Shirazes, with tinges of berry, chocolate and peppery flavors. Merlot and Cabernet are other options that pair well with this fabulous main course. Try a Hogue Columbia Valley Merlot or an elegant Silver Oak Cabernet, if you feel like splurging.
- Serving Size: SERVES 4
- Calories: 380
- Carbohydrate Content: 31 g
- Cholesterol Content: 20 mg
- Fat Content: 16 g
- Fiber Content: 5 g
- Protein Content: 25 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 730 mg
- Sugar Content: 3 g