30 minutes or fewer
Miso adds an interesting dimension to the nontraditional “fusion” pesto. The pairing of broccoli rabe and orecchiette pasta—orecchiette means “little ear” and aptly describes these small, round shapes—is popular in Italy’s Puglia region, but any small pasta can be used. If you can’t find broccoli rabe, substitute small broccoli florets, chard or spinach. To up the protein, add a cup of cooked cannellini beans.
- 1 lb. orecchiette, cooked al dente
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1/4 tsp. salt, or more to taste
- 4 cups fresh basil leaves
- 3 Tbs. white miso
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 lb. broccoli rabe, chopped and blanched
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain, reserving about 1/2 cup cooking water, and rinse. Set aside.
- Put garlic, pine nuts and salt in food processor, and chop. Add basil, and process until minced. Add miso, and process until combined. With machine running, slowly stream in 3 Tbs. olive oil, and process until smooth and creamy. Set aside.
- Heat remaining 1 Tbs. oil in large wok or skillet over medium-high heat. Add broccoli rabe, and season with salt and pepper. Stir-fry until tender, about 5 minutes. Reduce heat to low.
- Add pasta, reserved pesto and pasta cooking water. Stir-fry until well combined and heated through. Serve hot.
- Serving Size: Serves 8
- Calories: 330
- Carbohydrate Content: 49 g
- Fat Content: 10 g
- Fiber Content: 4 g
- Protein Content: 12 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 295 mg
- Sugar Content: 5 g