Although food historians disagree about the origins of this popular breakfast and brunch dish, Americans have made it their own, creating hundreds of variations. Scented with vanilla and ground cinnamon, this particular version draws on summer’s luscious berries as embellishments, but the fruit can be changed to suit the season. Plan for a leisurely meal when you can enjoy the toast with hot coffee or tea, chilled fruit juices—and the morning paper.
- 4 large eggs
- ¾ cup vanilla-flavored soymilk
- 1/3 cup plus 2 Tbs. granulated sugar
- 3 Tbs. vanilla extract
- 1 Tbs. baking powder
- 8 slices whole grain bread
- 2 Tbs. ground cinnamon, or to taste
- 2 Tbs. butter, or as needed for frying
- 1 ½ cups fresh raspberries
- 2 cups sliced strawberries
- Strawberry or maple syrup to taste
- Confectioners’ sugar for garnish
- Combine eggs, soymilk, 1/3 cup sugar, vanilla extract and baking powder in mixing bowl, and beat until thick and foamy. Pour into large baking pan, and place bread into egg mixture. Allow bread to soak up egg mixture, 7 to 10 minutes, and sprinkle slices evenly with 1½ tablespoons cinnamon. Turn bread over to soak second side, and sprinkle evenly with remaining ½ tablespoon cinnamon.
- Meanwhile, sprinkle berries with 2 tablespoons sugar, or more to taste, and set aside.
- Heat butter in large skillet over medium heat, and, when bubbling, start frying bread, several slices at a time. Pour extra egg batter over tops of slices. Cook 3 to 5 minutes, or until bottoms are golden. Carefully turn over to brown second side. Remove from skillet, and cook remaining bread slices, pouring any remaining egg mixture over uncooked tops of slices.
- To serve, place 1 slice toast on plate, top with some berries, and place second cooked slice on top, making berry “sandwich.” Add more berries, syrup and confectioners’ sugar as desired. Repeat with remaining toast and berries until used up.
- Serving Size: Serves 4
- Calories: 490
- Carbohydrate Content: 73 g
- Cholesterol Content: 225 mg
- Fat Content: 15 g
- Fiber Content: 11 g
- Protein Content: 15 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 6 g
- Sodium Content: 820 mg
- Sugar Content: 36 g