If you can’t find canned tomatoes with chiles, add 1 to 2 teaspoons chopped jalapeño pepper to diced tomatoes.
- 1 15-oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cucumber, diced (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/2 avocado, diced (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 Tbs. fresh lime juice
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 2 medium onions, diced (2 cups)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (about 1 Tbs.)
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 12 oz. mushrooms (about 3 cups)
- 1 8-oz. pkg. tempeh
- 1 14-oz. can diced tomatoes with chiles
- 2 tsp. fresh lime juice
- 6 whole-wheat tortillas
- To make Salsa: Toss beans, cucumber, cilantro, avocado and lime juice in small bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
- To make Burritos: Heat oil in saucepan over medium heat. Add onions, and sauté 10 minutes, or until translucent. Stir in garlic, chili powder, cumin and oregano, and cook 3 minutes more.
- Pulse mushrooms and tempeh in food processor until combined. Stir tomatoes and tempeh mixture into onion mixture, and cook 5 minutes.
- Add 1 cup water, cover, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low, and simmer 10 minutes. Uncover, and cook 15 to 20 minutes more, stirring occasionally. Stir in lime juice, and season with salt and pepper.
- Divide filling among tortillas. Roll into burritos, top with salsa, and serve.
- Serving Size: Serves 6
- Calories: 367
- Carbohydrate Content: 48 g
- Fat Content: 14 g
- Fiber Content: 8 g
- Protein Content: 16 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 593 mg
- Sugar Content: 6 g