Hot casseroles often use wheat products as thickeners. Here, potato starch and brown rice flour do the job. You can use any gluten-free pasta in this recipe.
- 8 oz. baby bella or button mushrooms, sliced (3 cups)
- 1 8-oz. pkg. tempeh, cut into strips
- 1/4 cup gluten-free tamari
- 1 14-oz. pkg. brown rice fettuccine
- 1/2 cup potato starch
- 1/2 cup brown rice flour
- 1 tsp. dried mustard
- 1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 2 Tbs. olive oil, divided
- 1 yellow onion, thinly sliced (11/2 cups)
- 1/2 cup Madeira, sherry, or apple juice
- 1 cup chopped Swiss chard
- 4 cups gluten-free vegetable broth
- 2 cups low-fat sour cream
- Pimentón (smoked Spanish paprika) or sweet paprika for garnish
- Toss together mushrooms, tempeh, and tamari in medium bowl; let stand 10 minutes. Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain, and set aside.
- Combine starch, flour, mustard, and nutmeg in resealable plastic bag. Add mushrooms and tempeh, and shake to coat. Heat 1 Tbs. oil in skillet over medium heat. Sauté mushrooms and tempeh 8 minutes, or until golden. Transfer to bowl. Add remaining oil to skillet. Sauté onion 4 minutes, or until softened. Transfer to bowl with tempeh.
- Increase heat to medium-high, and add Madeira to pan. Cook 3 minutes, or until most liquid has evaporated, scraping to remove tempeh and vegetables bits stuck to pan. Stir in Swiss chard, and cook 2 minutes, or until wilted. Return tempeh mixture to skillet, and stir in broth. Stir in sour cream. Ladle over pasta, and sprinkle with pimentón.
- Serving Size: Serves 6
- Calories: 644
- Carbohydrate Content: 94 g
- Cholesterol Content: 41 mg
- Fat Content: 20 g
- Fiber Content: 4 g
- Protein Content: 19 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 8 g
- Sodium Content: 542 mg
- Sugar Content: 10 g