Here’s a straight-from-the-pantry soup that’ll become a weeknight favorite. Puréeing one of the cans of beans creates a creamy base without adding extra fat or cholesterol. Garnish with crumbled feta cheese and serve with vegetable chips, if desired.
- 2 Tbs. vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, diced (about 2 cups)
- 1 15.5-oz. can navy beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15.5-oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 6 cloves garlic, minced (about 2 Tbs.)
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth or water
- 1 15.5-oz. can great Northern beans, drained and rinsed
- Heat oil in large pot over medium heat. Sauté onion 2 to 3 minutes, or until soft. Add navy beans, black beans and garlic, and continue cooking and stirring 8 to 10 minutes more. Stir in 1 cup broth.
- Meanwhile, put great Northern beans and remaining 1 cup broth into food processor or blender, and purée until smooth. Pour purée into soup. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Thin with more broth or water, if desired.
- Spoon into individual soup bowls, and serve hot.
- Serving Size: Serves 6
- Calories: 231
- Carbohydrate Content: 39 g
- Fat Content: 5 g
- Fiber Content: 11 g
- Protein Content: 13 g
- Sodium Content: 557 mg
- Sugar Content: 5 g