Enjoy this tofu spread as is, or add a personal touch–capers, chopped onion, fresh herbs (beyond those listed here), bell pepper or olives.
- 1 lb. firm low-fat tofu, well drained
- 1/2 cup soy mayonnaise
- 2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp. chopped garlic
- 1/8 tsp. turmeric
- 1 Tbs. chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tsp. chopped fresh tarragon or 1/4 tsp. dried
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 2 Tbs. finely chopped scallions
- 8 slices whole-wheat bread
- 2 large carrots, grated (1 1/4 cups)
- 1 cup sprouts, such as clover or alfalfa
- Put tofu into medium bowl. Using your hands, crumble until texture resembles mashed eggs. Add mayonnaise and stir to blend. Stir in mustard, garlic, turmeric, parsley, tarragon, salt and pepper. Then stir in celery and scallions until blended.
- On work surface, place 4 slices of bread. On each slice, layer tofu salad, carrots and sprouts. Top with remaining bread, cut sandwiches in half and serve.
- Serving Size: 4 Servings
- Calories: 333
- Carbohydrate Content: 48 g
- Fat Content: 10 g
- Fiber Content: 8 g
- Protein Content: 16 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 788 mg