Served piping hot, this golden tofu is remarkably like freshly scrambled eggs, flavored with basil, dill and chives. Squeezing the tofu will extract about 3 tablespoons of liquid and will keep the dish from becoming watery.
- 1 lb. soft tofu
- 1 tsp. vegetable oil
- 2 large scallions (white and light green parts), finely chopped ( 1/4 cup)
- 1/8 tsp. ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 6 to 8 medium basil leaves, cut crosswise into fine shreds (1 Tbs.)
- 1 Tbs. snipped chives
- 1 Tbs. finely chopped fresh dill
- 1 Tbs. finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Cut tofu block in half horizontally, then cut in half lengthwise, keeping block intact. One at a time, take a piece of tofu in your hand. Holding it over sink, squeeze tofu gently but firmly until it crumbles slightly and water drips out. When about half the moisture has been removed, place tofu in bowl. Repeat until all tofu has been squeezed.
- In nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add scallions. Stir just until they sizzle, 30 seconds. Add turmeric, salt and tofu. Stir with wooden spoon, breaking up tofu, until it is evenly golden and moist, about 1 minute. Mix in basil, chives, dill and parsley. Stir gently until tofu looks like well-set scrambled eggs, about 1 minute. Serve immediately.
- Serving Size: 2 Servings
- Calories: 122
- Carbohydrate Content: 4 g
- Fat Content: 5 g
- Protein Content: 14 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 724 mg