With the help of a cookie cutter, you can turn pan-fried tofu into kid-friendly party food.
- serving (1 tofu shape plus 1 Tbs. dip)Servings
- 1 cup cooked or canned chickpeas
- 1/4 cup gluten-free honey mustard
- 1 Tbs. honey
- 2 Tbs. lemon juice
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- TOFU SHAPES
- 1 lb. superfirm tofu, cut into
- 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 1 cup puffed rice cereal
- 1/4 tsp. ground cumin
- 2 large egg whites
- 2 Tbs. olive oil, for frying
To make Hummus:
1. Pulse chickpeas, honey mustard, honey, and lemon juice in food processor until coarsely chopped. With motor running, add olive oil, and purée until smooth.
To make Tofu Shapes:
1. Place tofu slices on paper-towel-lined baking sheet. Cover with paper towels, and place another baking sheet on top. Weigh down, and drain 30 minutes.
2. Pulse cereal and cumin in food processor until finely ground. Transfer to bowl. Whisk together egg whites and 1 Tbs. water in separate bowl.
3. Preheat oven to 400°F. Cut tofu into shapes with cookie cutters. Dip Tofu Shapes into egg whites, then into cereal mixture. Coat baking sheet with cooking spray.
4. Heat oil in skillet over medium-high heat. Fry Tofu Shapes in oil 1 to 2 minutes per side. Transfer to prepared baking sheet. Bake 10 minutes, or until firm. Serve with Hummus.
- Serving Size: Serves 12 (makes 12 small shapes)
- Calories: 190
- Carbohydrate Content: 11 g
- Fat Content: 14 g
- Fiber Content: 2 g
- Protein Content: 6 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 191 mg
- Sugar Content: 4 g