Fresh tomato soup is easy to make with a hand-held blender. This version is bursting with flavor. If you don’t have an immersion blender, simply transfer the soup to blender or food processor instead.
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 Tbs. chopped fresh oregano or basil
- 1 tsp. chopped fresh thyme or 1/4 tsp. dried
- 5 cups diced fresh tomatoes (2 lb.)
- 1 1/2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 1/2 Tbs. tomato paste
- 2 tsp. sugar
- Fresh herb sprigs for garnish
- In large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, oregano or basil and thyme and cook, stirring often, until onion begins to soften, about 5 minutes. Add tomatoes and cook, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes. Stir in broth, tomato paste and sugar. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Bring soup to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 15 minutes. Using immersion blender, process until smooth.
- Ladle into serving bowls and garnish with fresh herbs.
- Serving Size: Serves 4
- Calories: 137
- Carbohydrate Content: 17 g
- Fat Content: 4 g
- Fiber Content: 3 g
- Protein Content: 4 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 172 mg