This unusual dessert can be made as triangles or as rolls as well. If you can’t find coconut syrup, use the thick, presweetened cream of coconut mixture used for bar drinks and found in the mixes section of your supermarket.
- 2 ripe papayas or mangoes, seeded and diced
- 1 semiripe banana, diced
- 1/4 tsp. ground cloves
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut
- 1/3 cup vegan or low-fat sour cream
- 1/2 lb. filo (about 18 sheets)
- Nonstick cooking spray (butter flavored) or melted butter for brushing
- Vanilla ice cream to taste
- Lime wedges
- Coconut syrup to taste
- To make Filling: Cut papayas or mangoes and banana into bite-sized pieces. Put fruit, seasonings, coconut and sour cream into bowl.
- Preheat oven to 375F. Spray 8x8-inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- To make Filo: Remove 8 to 10 sheets filo from package, covering remaining filo with plastic wrap. Cut filo to fit pan. Spray every sheet or every other sheet with nonstick cooking spray, or brush with butter as you place them in pan. Spread fruit mixture on top of filo layers. Remove another 8 to 10 sheets filo from package, and top filling with remaining filo, spraying or brushing sheets as before.
- Bake about 20 minutes, or until golden brown. Cool slightly, slice and serve with scoop of ice cream and lime wedge. Have bowl of coconut syrup on table for topping, if desired.
- Serving Size: Serves 6
- Calories: 170
- Carbohydrate Content: 35 g
- Fat Content: 3 g
- Fiber Content: 3 g
- Protein Content: 2 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 125 mg
- Sugar Content: 9 g