Small stuffed breads called pide are popular snacks in Turkey. Accompanied by a crisp shepherd’s salad of chopped tomato, onion, cucumber and bell pepper dressed with parsley, olive oil and lemon juice, they make a light yet satisfying meal.
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 ( 1/4-oz.) pkg. quick-rising dry yeast
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. sugar
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- In food processor fitted with metal blade, combine flours, yeast, salt and sugar; pulse on/off to mix. In measuring cup, combine 3/4 cup hot water (120F to 130F) and oil. With motor running, gradually pour hot liquid through food processor feed tube. Process until dough forms ball, then process 1 minute to knead. The dough should be quite soft. If it seems dry, add 1 to 2 tablespoons warm water; if too sticky, add 1 to 2 tablespoons flour. Transfer dough to lightly floured surface and knead a few times. Spray sheet of plastic wrap with cooking spray and place, sprayed side down, over dough. Let dough rest 20 to 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place baking stone or inverted baking sheet on bottom rack of oven to heat. Preheat oven to 450F. (Heat baking stone for 25 minutes before baking; heat baking sheet for 10 minutes.)
- Make filling: In medium bowl, whisk 1 egg. Add cottage cheese, feta, scallions, dill and pepper; mix well.
- Make glaze: In small bowl, combine 1 egg and 1 tablespoon water; stir briskly with fork.
- Assemble pide: Coat another baking sheet with cooking spray. Divide dough into 4 pieces. On lightly floured surface, use rolling pin to roll 1 piece of dough into 8 1/2 x 6 1/2-inch oval, slightly less than 1/4 inch thick. (Keep remaining pieces of dough covered while you work.) Brush a little egg glaze around border of oval. Place about 1/3 cup cheese filling in center of oval, leaving a 1 1/2-inch border all around. Bring edges of long sides of the oval together and pinch to seal from end to end. Fold over tips at narrow ends and pinch to seal. Use wide metal spatula to transfer pide to prepared baking sheet. Repeat with remaining dough and filling.
- Brush tops of pide with egg glaze and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Place baking sheet on heated baking stone or inverted baking sheet and bake pide until golden, 15 to 20 minutes. Transfer to rack and let cool at least 10 minutes before serving hot or warm.
- Serving Size: 4 Servings
- Calories: 401
- Carbohydrate Content: 51 g
- Cholesterol Content: 135 mg
- Fat Content: 14 g
- Fiber Content: 6 g
- Protein Content: 20 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 6 g
- Sodium Content: 26 mg