Galette des Rois, or kings’ cake, makes its appearance in French pâtisseries around Christmas, but it is a delicious dessert option anytime.
- 4 oz. vegan margarine, softened (1/2 cup)
- 4 oz. crumbled firm tofu (1/2 cup)
- 1 cup sugar, divided, plus more for sprinkling, optional
- 1/2 tsp. almond extract
- 1 tsp. Kirsch brandy, optional
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbs. flaxseed meal
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 17.3-oz. pkg. puff pastry, thawed (2 sheets)
1. Beat margarine and tofu with electric mixer until creamy. Add 1/2 cup sugar, and beat 2 minutes, or until sugar is dissolved (mixture will look grainy). Beat in almond extract and Kirsch, if using. Add almond flour, all-purpose flour, flaxseed meal, and baking powder; beat 3 minutes, or until mixture is smooth and light in color. Chill batter 2 hours, or overnight.
2. Line baking sheet with parchment paper. Unroll puff pastry sheets onto lightly floured work surface. Cut each puff pastry sheet into largest circle possible. Discard scraps.
3. Transfer 1 puff pastry sheet to prepared baking sheet. Spread almond mixture in circle in center of pastry, leaving a 1-inch border all around. Brush border with water, and top galette with remaining puff pastry sheet. Press edges well to seal. Chill 1 hour, or overnight.
4. Preheat oven to 425°F. Draw circle with tip of knife on top of galette around almond filling. Score curved lines to create pinwheel inside of circle with tip of knife, making sure puff pastry is slashed but not completely cut through. Score edges outside circle with diagonal lines. To crimp edges of galette, slide back of knife under galette, and gently lift upward and inward to create scallop effect, cutting into dough a bit.
5. Bake 15 minutes. Reduce oven to 350°F, and bake 45 minutes more, or until galette is brown on top and bottom.
6. Meanwhile, bring remaining 1/2 cup sugar and 1/4 cup water to a boil in small saucepan. Cook 1 minute, or until sugar is completely dissolved.
7. Remove galette from oven, and brush sugar syrup all over top. Sprinkle with additional sugar, if using. Cool completely before serving.
- Serving Size: Serves 12
- Calories: 379
- Carbohydrate Content: 36 g
- Fat Content: 24 g
- Fiber Content: 2 g
- Protein Content: 6 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 6 g
- Sodium Content: 345 mg
- Sugar Content: 18 g