This sauce for the ravioli is equally delicious spooned over polenta or grains.
- 1/2 cup dried porcini mushrooms
- 1 3/4 cups boiling water
- 2 Tbs. extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup minced shallots
- 4 oz. fresh shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and thinly sliced
- 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 15-oz. can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15-oz. can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Combine porcini with boiling water. Let stand 20 minutes. Drain through fine sieve, reserving liquid. Chop.
- Heat oil in saucepan over medium heat. Add shallots, shiitakes, porcini and crushed red pepper. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring, 5 minutes, until mushrooms release their juices. Add wine, and cook about 5 minutes, or until almost dry.
- Add porcini liquid, beans, tomatoes, thyme, salt and pepper. Cover; increase heat to a simmer. Reduce heat to low, and cook, partially covered, 15 minutes.
- Purée 1 cup sauce, and return to pot. Stir in lemon juice and parsley. Taste for salt. Serve over ravioli, saving leftover sauce for another use.
- Serving Size: Makes about 4 cups
- Calories: 140
- Carbohydrate Content: 17 g
- Fat Content: 4 g
- Fiber Content: 5 g
- Protein Content: 7 g
- Sodium Content: 230 mg
- Sugar Content: 2 g