This luscious, nourishing stew stars several complementary flavors—roasted tomatoes, wild rice and goat cheese—with fried, cubed tempeh as an embellishment. Note that tempeh is available in many different flavors, so pick one that brings some garden-fresh flavors to the stew. Look for the precooked wild rice sold in foil packets in specialty food stores. Serve this substantial entrée with a toasted baguette and a simple, light dessert such as poached pears. This recipe is generous enough to serve up to six people.
- 2 1/2 cups crushed roasted tomatoes (1 large can)
- 2 1/2 cups whole fire-roasted tomatoes (1 large can)
- 2 cups precooked wild rice
- 3 Tbs. olive oil for frying
- 8 oz. pkg. flavored tempeh, cubed
- 6 oz. baby spinach, rinsed
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 4 oz. mini baguette
- 8 oz. firm goat cheese
- Basil leaves for garnish
- Combine tomatoes in large saucepan, using spoon to stir together and to slightly break up whole tomatoes. Add wild rice, and heat mixture over medium-low.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil in large skillet over medium-low. When hot, add cubed tempeh, and sauté, stirring often, until crisp and browned. Remove from heat and drain on paper towels.
- Add spinach, oregano and garlic to tomato mixture and season to taste.
- To make the croutons: Cut mini baguette into 12 equal slices, allowing 3 slices per serving. Cut goat cheese into 12 slices, layer on bread and broil until cheese softens and bread toasts.
- Just before serving, stir tempeh cubes into stew. To serve, ladle stew into four large soup bowls. Garnish with basil leaves and toasted goat cheese croutons.
The tomatoes, the grains and the goat cheese are the controlling flavors. Look for a wine to meet the acid in the tomatoes and to stand up to the goat cheese. Try Antinori Chianti Classico Tenute Marchese Antinori Riserva.
- Serving Size: Serves 4
- Calories: 740
- Carbohydrate Content: 66 g
- Cholesterol Content: 60 mg
- Fat Content: 36 g
- Fiber Content: 11 g
- Protein Content: 40 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 16 g
- Sodium Content: 660 mg