Here’s a new way to serve tempeh that’s full of flavor. As a bonus, the bright colors make this a beautiful dish. The recipe can easily be doubled.
Meal Plan: To round out the meal, serve polenta on the side. Slice packaged polenta into coins. Broil each side a couple of minutes until browned.
- 8-oz. pkg. tempeh
- 1/4 cup shoyu or soy sauce
- 1 Tbs. plus 1 tsp. maple syrup
- 4 Tbs. fresh lime juice
- 4 whole cloves garlic plus 1 clove minced garlic
- 4 slices fresh ginger
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped ( 3/4 cup)
- 1/2 tsp. prepared mustard
- 2 tsp. minced jalapeno pepper
- 2 Tbs. plus 1 tsp. vegetable oil
- 3 bunches fresh arugula
- 1 ripe medium mango, peeled and sliced
- Cut tempeh into 12 even strips. In large saucepan, combine 2 cups water, shoyu, 1 tablespoon maple syrup, 2 tablespoons lime juice, whole garlic cloves and ginger slices. Bring to a boil over high heat. Add tempeh, lower heat and simmer, uncovered, 15 minutes.
- Remove tempeh from liquid and set aside. Add chopped onion to liquid and cook 1 minute. Remove with slotted spoon and place in small bowl. Discard garlic and ginger. Drizzle 1 tablespoon lime juice over onion, toss to coat and set aside.
- In small bowl, whisk together remaining 1 tablespoon lime juice, 1 teaspoon maple syrup, mustard, minced garlic, jalapeno, and 2 tablespoons oil. Set dressing aside.
- Remove long stems from arugula, wash and dry leaves well, and place in metal bowl. Peel and slice mango into 3/4-inch slices; set aside in separate dish.
- In medium nonstick skillet, heat remaining 1 teaspoon oil over medium-high heat. Add tempeh and cook until browned, about 2 minutes on each side.
- Toss arugula with dressing to coat. Place bowl over pot of simmering water to make a double boiler. Toss greens over the heat until they warm and just begin to wilt, about 2 minutes. Divide arugula onto plates and arrange mango and tempeh over greens. Sprinkle with reserved chopped onion and serve.
- Serving Size: Serves 4
- Calories: 211
- Carbohydrate Content: 23 g
- Fat Content: 10 g
- Fiber Content: 3 g
- Protein Content: 8 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 67 mg