Talk to the Goddess
To do this process, you'll need pen and paper—enough paper so that you can continue writing as long as necessary.
1. Say three Oms, with the intention of creating a space of sacredness.
2. Spend a few moments in contemplation, recalling the symbology of Kali. Because the psyche responds to symbols and images far more readily than to words, I often find that invoking this archetypal imagery can open up realms of the personal unconscious that are otherwise unavailable.
3. With a notebook and pen close by, close your eyes and summon Kali inwardly. Ask that the Kali energy in you be present. Say, "Let me speak to Kali."
4. At this point, drop inside and notice what is invoked in you by this request. Let yourself feel the energy of the Kali within you. If it feels natural, you might even begin to speak out loud as Kali. How would Kali speak? What would she say to you? Or you can go directly to the next step.
5. With your dominant hand, write, "Who are you?" or "Tell me about yourself." Then take the pen in your other hand and write an answer. With your dominant hand, write, "What do you want to express?" With the nondominant hand, write your answer.
6. Continue the dialogue as long as it has energy. You can always come back to it later.
7. When the dialogue feels finished, sit quietly for a few moments, being present with the breath. Notice the spaces between the in-breath and the out-breath, the out-breath and the in-breath. Without holding your breath, see if you can be aware of how the breath arises and subsides from stillness. This open space is the essential nature of the Kali energy.
8. Thank your inner Kali. Place the picture or image of Kali where you can see it every day.
9. Take an action that feels connected to the Kali energy you've accessed. Kali-like activities might include wild dancing or kicking, speaking a truth you have been afraid to voice, asserting a preference, doing something you never did before.
10. Note any dreams, insights, or shifts that arise in the next few days.
Extra: To read more about the Goddess Kali see How to Be Fierce.