Makes 12 to 15 shooters.
- 1 large rosemary sprig
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- garlic cloves, minced
- 2 15-ounce cans white beans, drained
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- Chop 1 tablespoon of the rosemary. Set aside along with the remaining sprig
- In a large stockpot over medium heat, sauté the onion and olive oil until translucent. Reduce the heat to low, add garlic, and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Add the beans, rosemary sprig, and broth. Cover, bring to a boil, and then simmer for 20 to 30 minutes until the beans are very soft. Remove the rosemary sprig.
- Let the soup cool for 10 minutes. Then use a hand blender to puree. Season to taste with salt and white pepper.
- Serve in cups or shot glasses. Garnish with reserved chopped rosemary.
Recipe used with permission from Tea Party: 20 Themed Tea Parties with Recipes for Every Occasion, by Tracy Stern, with Christie Matheson (Clarkson Potter, 2007).